Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Q & A with Famous Pittsburghers

Famous Pittsburgher: Tim O' Brien

Company/Organization/Job:
Owner, O’Brien Communications
Quick blurb about your company/organization:
O’Brien Communications is a corporate communications consultancy that was started in 2001.  It has served companies and organizations of all sizes.
How long have you been doing what you do:
I’ve run by business for the past 12 years.  I’ve been in the communications business for  30 years.
How long have you lived in Pittsburgh:
I’m a native Pittsburgher.
1.       What is your favorite thing to do in Downtown Pittsburgh? Why? 
a.       My favorite thing is the Pittsburgh St. Patrick’s Day Parade.  I’m on the committee and it’s one of the most fun groups to be around.   And on parade day, it’s great to see so many people “Irish for a day” come out rain or shine and put the city’s best foot forward.  It’s a great rite of Spring for Pittsburgh.

2.       What is your favorite Downtown restaurant? Why? What’s your favorite dish?
a.       My favorite Downtown restaurant is Ruth’s Chris.  Their steaks are the best.

3.       Where do you like to shop Downtown? Why?
a.       My favorite store is Macy’s.  I started going there when it was Kaufmann’s and it has always been a favorite place to shop Downtown.

4.       Talk a bit about your favorite Downtown Pittsburgh Experience or Memory.
a.       About one month after I got married, I organized the first luminaria display at PPG Place for Light Up Night.  There was something about that time and that night I will never forget.  I still have the photo in my office of the plaza glowing with 2,000 lit candles.

5.       What festival or major event do you like best in Downtown? Why?
a.       I mentioned the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, which is my favorite.  My other favorite event would be the Three Rivers Regatta, which uses all of Pittsburgh’s assets at one time, the parks the town and of course, the rivers.



6.       Tell us one thing about Downtown that has surprised you.
a.       Downtown is emerging as a residential option for many newcomers and long-time Pittsburghers.  I’ve read about it as an emerging trend over the years, but when you see it in person, it’s a pleasant surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment