Friday, May 24, 2013

Famous Burgher Blog - Fairmont Pittsburgh Executive Chef Jason Dalling


Name: Jason Dalling  

Job: Executive Chef, Fairmont Pittsburgh - Fairmont Pittsburgh is a Four Diamond, LEED Gold certified hotel in the heart of Downtown Pittsburgh. In addition to luxurious guestrooms and meeting space, Fairmont Pittsburgh is home to Habitat restaurant and Andys Bar & Patio, as well as a health club and spa.

How long have you been doing what you do: 26 years

How long have you lived in Pittsburgh: 6 months

What is your favorite Downtown restaurant? Why? What’s your favorite dish?
For obvious reasons, Habitat. My favorite dish is our burger. It’s made with local grass-fed beef, bacon, and Pennsylvania white cheddar. I don't usually take too much time to eat, but when I do I like simple things that are made with really great ingredients. This burger fits the bill exactly.

I also like Sienna in Market Square for Italian.

Talk a bit about your favorite Downtown Pittsburgh Experience or Memory.
I haven’t been here that long and when I am downtown I’m usually working, but one of my favorite things to do after a long shift is go to Primanti’s in Market Square for a beer and just take in that whole “Pittsburgh experience.” It’s great to see such a different aspect of the restaurant industry. Plus it’s not me doing the cooking.  

Tell us one thing about Downtown that has surprised you.
People told me this would be the case before I came here, but I didn’t realize how true it is. It’s how caring the people of Pittsburgh are, even the people you meet on the street. 

What is the best thing for children to do downtown?
I definitely know this one! The Carnegie Science Center. My son Aidyn is 5 and loves the Science Center.

What is your favorite thing to do Downtown that costs nothing?
Our music series at the hotel, Jazz at Andys. We feature a variety of local musicians every Tuesday-Saturday in our lobby and there’s no cover charge. Just stop in, listen to some great music, and grab a cocktail if you want.

If you had $100 you had to spend in Downtown Pittsburgh, what would you spend it on?
I’d go around to some of the downtown restaurants I’ve been wanting to try and sample the beers.

What is your favorite piece of public art in Downtown? Why?
Fraley’s Robot Repair. I’m sad to see it go. It was just such a cool and unexpected piece of art. I’ve been following it since I moved to Pittsburgh.

What is your favorite public space in Downtown? Why?
Market Square. When I am able to escape the kitchen for a little bit, I enjoy heading over to Market Square to take in whatever event is happening, visit the restaurants and bar and just people watch.

Describe Downtown in 3 words.
Lots of bridges.

Do you have a favorite building Downtown? What is it? Why
PPG. It has such unique architectural and design elements. My son thinks Batman lives there.

No comments:

Post a Comment